· 1kg stewing lamb
· Knob of butter
· 1 white onion
· 3 garlic cloves
· 1 leek
· 2 medium carrots
· 1 small sweet potato
· 1/2 turnip
· 500ml of vegetable or chicken stock
· 25g plain flour
· 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
· 1 tsp rosemary
· 1 bay leaf
· 900g white potatoes
(Image from: flickr)
1. Firstly, preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
2. Prepare the lamb by chopping it into chunks. Dice the onion and garlic cloves.
3. In a large saucepan, add the butter and melt over a medium heat. When melted, add the onion, garlic and lamb.
4. Whilst the lamb is browning, prepare the other vegetables—cut into chunks. You can pretty much add whatever vegetables you like at this point! Then sprinkle with flour.
5. Once chopped, add the other vegetables to the saucepan, then add the stock and bring to the boil.
6. Once boiled, turn down to simmer and add the Worcestershire sauce, bay lead and rosemary. Simmer over a low-medium heat for five minutes.
7. Whilst simmering, peel the potatoes and slice thinly.
8. Add the lamb mix to a casserole dish, and top with the sliced potatoes.
9. Melt another knob of butter in a microwavable and brush over the tops of the potatoes. Put into the oven for one hour and 30 minutes. If the potatoes brown too quickly, then cover with tin foil.
10. Serve and enjoy!