If you’re reading this, you’re thinking about your drinking. Lots of us feel like we’re drinking a bit too much, or too often, or just like we could do with some time off. Dry January is the perfect way to reset your relationship with alcohol. It only takes three weeks to break a habit, so this could be your route to happier, healthier drinking long-term.
New year, new you - do Dry January and feel healthier and happier as:
· you sleep better
· your skin improves
· you lose weight
· More money in your pocket (the average person spends £50,000 on booze in their lifetime)
· Get healthier - through giving up alcohol for a month you do your insides a lot of good.
· Amazing sense of achievement!
Why sign up?
People who sign up are more likely to stay dry for the whole month. That’s because when you sign up you:
· Get access to our free app, which helps you keep track of your month with features like a calorie calculator, unit tracker and tool to show how much you’ve saved.
· Receive regular support emails with tips, tricks and information from experts in alcohol to make your month easier and more fun.
· Have help on hand: if you’re struggling, we’ll support you.
· You can fundraise for charity or give what you save. Make your Dry January make a difference.
Giving your body a break from booze for a month is great, but you’ll get lots more benefits if you cut down long term. Alcohol is linked with more than 60 health conditions, including liver disease, high blood pressure, depression and seven types of cancer. In fact, alcohol is the biggest cause of death for people aged 15-49 in the UK. Cutting back on alcohol reduces your risk of developing these conditions.
The UK’s top doctors (they’re called the Chief Medical Officers) recommend drinking no more than 14 units per week, spread over three or more days, and with at least two days off.
The good news is that Dry January is the perfect training ground for helping you cut down from February onwards! Cutting down permanently is, for many people, very hard, because habits are hard to break. Dry January is an excellent way of learning what your habits are and how to break them, enabling you to cut down longer-term. You can think of it as a bootcamp for drinking self-control!