Top tips to sticking to your New Year’s resolutions:
· Be realistic– unrealistic goals will make you feel like you have failed if you don’t achieve them. Make sure to change one small thing at a time and then build on this.
· Planning– don’t wait until the last minute to set yourself a resolution or goal. Take time to think about what you would like to achieve and set a goal with a timeframe and plan to reach it.
· Develop a support network– family and friends can help support you both making and achieving your goals. Telling someone else about your goals can also be a good motivator in achieving them.
· Make success measurable– this will help you stay motivated and realise how small changes add up.
· Learn to accept some failures– don’t worry if you’re not on track 100% of the time, use these as learning experiences but importantly, don’t give up!
Below are some of the most common New Year health resolutions, with links to help you get started and achieve your goal.
Get practical tips to lose excess weight, including getting started, healthy food swaps, and the NHS 12-week weight loss plan.
We've got all you need to help you achieve your goal to stop smoking, including the free NHS Smokefree app.
Boost your fitness with fun and practical ideas to help you get into shape, including Couch to 5K, Strength and Flex and the NHS Fitness Studio.
Drink less alcohol
Calculate your units, get tips on cutting down, track your drinking and find out where to get help and support.
Eat more fruit and veg
Whether you're cooking for a family or eating on the go, our tips and recipes can help you get your 5 a day.